Our Adoption Program allows people like you to provide lifetime care to animals rescued from the food industry. (If you are interested in providing financial support only please see our Sponsorship program.)
The animals we rescue are individuals who often require special care. Prospective carers need to meet the following criteria:
- current membership of an animal protection organisation
- proven ability to provide for the animals financially
- the existence of suitable housing, land and fencing
- proof of holding appropriate permits and PIC registration
- a good reference from a vet
- access to large animal veterinary services
- a vegetarian lifestyle and commitment to animal rights
- a commitment that no product derived from the animal will be offered for sale, consumption or profit
- a commitment to lifetime care.
(Please note that the adoption of laying chickens and female cattle, goats and sheep is available to vegan households only.) Minimum herd sizes apply, see below.
Where does my adopted farm animal come from?
Farm animals available for adoption may be from factory farms, saleyards, slaughterhouses, shelters, veterinary clinics or saved from being “strays”. The enormous number of farmed animals in Australia means that many animals are left behind, escape, become abandoned or dumped, or are simply not considered valuable enough to care for. Animals once rehabilitated become eligible for our Adoption Program and may require additional care.
How do I arrange an adoption visit?
What’s the adoption process?
- Complete the Adoption Application Form below.
- FAR will contact you to arrange a site visit, including an inspection of your home and the proposed area the animal would live in. If approved, you'll be invited to spend an hour with our Animal Care Supervisor.
- Our Animal Care Supervisor will educate you on the important care standards for the adoptee.
- You will be placed on our Priority Approved Adopter register.
- FAR will contact you when an animal becomes available for adoption.
- Animals will be medically stabilised before adoption; however, you should still quarantine new arrivals. An adoption contract and movement paperwork will be issued at the time you adopt the animal(s).
Please note: immediate placement is unlikely. We cannot specify when an animal may be ready for adoption. We will contact you when an appropriate animal comes into our care to support your preparations.
What happens after adoption?
Following adoption, FAR staff will be available to assist you with any questions via a special email address and will provide expertise as you need it so that, together, we can ensure the best possible life for your new animal friend(s).
|Application for inclusion in the program||$50|
|Adoption of hens/roosters||$40 each|
|Adoption of geese/ducks/turkeys||$50 each|
|Adoption of sheep or goats||$60 each|
|Adoption of cattle||$100 each|
|Adoption of pigs||$120 each|
|Transportation||$1.32 per km|
How do I get started?
Apply to adopt a farm animal in need of a forever home and to be part of a caring family by clicking the button below.